Did you know we wear 20% of our clothes collection 80% of the time? If it’s time for a close encounter with your wardrobe, follow image consultant Penny Blower’s tips to make it painless…
Imagine opening your wardrobe and knowing that everything in it fits, suits you and will give you endless outfits. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?
It’s possible to do – but first you need to prepare yourself, you’ll need time, bin bags, hangers, cleaning materials, a vacuum cleaner, a positive frame of mind and determination!
The ideal way to see what you have, what works and what doesn’t work is to go through each item of clothing, piece by piece, until there is nothing left in your wardrobe. For most of us this is not a five minute job, so give yourself plenty of time or break up the task into garment categories.
Next, divide the garments up into three piles: the keepers, the maybes, and those destined for a bin bag (but not necessarily the bin!). If it does not make you feel fabulous, let it go!
Penny’s top tips:
- Before putting away clothes, hoover the wardrobe to get rid of dust.
- Only put clean clothes away – food marks attract moths.
- The more expensive the garment the better the moths seem to like it – been there, done that, got the ‘bullet hole’ in my only cashmere cardigan! Lavender sachets and cedarwood blocks
among the clothes help ward off moths.
- Avoid over-crowding your wardrobe – your clothes need to breathe. Store bulky items which you don’t wear often elsewhere.
- Wire hangers can spoil clothes with their lack of support and permanently mark fabrics.
- Shops such as re:store will turn your unwanted clothes into the cash needed to run their support services.
Penny is an image consultant who advises on how to look and feel your best through colour, style, wardrobe weeding, personal shopping, presentations, workshops and seasonal updates.
Tel. 01769 560497